I wasn't going to post this recipe, but as I sat here enjoying every spoonful on New Year's Day I changed my mind. It's so flavorful and delicious, this is a keeper.
Coconut & Chicken Curry Soup
- coconut oil
- 3 chicken breasts, cut into bite sized chunks (2 legs/thighs wt bone/skin)
- 1/2 of a large onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon grated fresh ginger (chopped, ginger doesn't grate for me)
- 1 1/2 cups chicken broth (homemade bone broth is awesome)
- 1 can (14 ounces) unsweetened coconut milk, full fat
- 2 teaspoon curry powder (more, and the hot verson)
- 2 tsp tumeric
- 1 jalapeño, seeded, minced
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 1 small red bell pepper, sliced thin
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro, plus extra for garnish
- 1/2 cup unsweetened chipped coconut
- 2 cups freshly cooked jasmine rice (optional)
- sour cream or full fat yogurt
1) Heat the oil in a medium sized soup pot over medium heat. Add the chicken to the oil, season lightly with salt and pepper. Sauté til golden. Remove chicken and set aside. Sauté the onion, adding more oil if necessary, until tender.
2) Return the chicken to the pot with the onions. Add the ginger; cook for 1 minute. Add chicken broth, coconut milk, curry powder and jalapeno. Bring to a simmer over medium heat. Debone the chicken put mean in soup and save bones for broth in the freezer. Add bell pepper and cilantro and simmer an additional 3 minutes. Stir in lime juice. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
3) Optional: Spoon rice into 4 bowls. Top with a ladle or two of soup. Garnish with additional cilantro and a sprinkling of shredded coconut. Serve.
Makes approximately 6 servings